Home Again
After way too many hours of traveling, I am home! Yey!!! But yet, What an awesome 2 weeks!!! Words cannot begin to describe what I have experienced. Here is a brief description.
We hit the ground running when we got into Vinnitsa. After visiting Grace Baptist on Sunday morning, we visited Maximovicha Church that evening. (Maximovicha is the central church for the Vinnitsa region. This is an amazing church. Pictures of it can't begin to describe how awesome and beautiful this church is. And the members built it with their own hands.) We were the central part of the service. Craig and Henry gave messages, and I had the opportunity to give my testimony. Afterwards we sang. Then the choir sang. They made us sound pathetic. All the music was accapella. It was so beautiful. It turns out this was the summer choir - the "B" team. Well, it makes our "A" team sound a little weak (sorry, Larry).
Monday morning began the week of Bible camp. We would get up at 5:30 every morning and leave at 7:45 to be at camp by 10:00. The camp was in a small village a short drive from Kmelnick, which is where the nearest church was. We worked with a team from that church as well as interpreters from Vinnitsa. The first day 100 kids showed up. By the end of the week we had 200 kids. It was apparent that the youngest children would have to be broken up into 2 groups. So on Tuesday we added an English class. Karen and I were reassigned to teach it. I think my arms still ache from repeating "Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes" over and over. We also learned John 3:16 in English, "Jesus Loves Me", "1,2,3 Jesus Loves Me" and the "Hokey Pokey." Okay, they didn't really understand the hokey pokey, but they sure had fun doing it.
This camp really took me back many years to mission trips to Haysi, VA. It was really similar, except the kids were more difficult to understand, but I think they were a little cleaner (not much, as bathing and washing clothes aren't overly stressed). I completely fell in love with the children. The first day at camp I spent a good deal of time with the 6-7 graders. I confess, they were my favorite. The little boys in the class learned "We love you, Eve." (This is pronounced "E-vee," even though my name is actually pronounced "Yay-va.")
On Friday after camp we had closing ceremonies and invited parents. The children sang, recited verses in Ukranian and English, the gospel was presented. I again had to opportunity to give my testimony.
After camp each day we would go back to Kmelnick for lunch. Ah, the food!! It was sooo good, and so much. They kept pushing me to eat. (I would have gained 25 pounds on this trip if it weren't for "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" and squats.) Then we would head out most nights for various ministry opportunities. On Monday we took food to shut-ins. On Wednesday we broke up into 2 teams and visited church in Lipovits and Rososha. On Thursday we took food and Bibles to a retirement home.
Most nights we got home around 10:00. Our hostesses always had a meal waiting. On Wednesday we actually had 4 meals. Our host families became very real to us. My host family were not Christians, so we prayed for them and looked for opportunities to witness. They were very nervous about hosting, having never done it before. They apologized at the end of the week for any mistakes. What mistakes? They were so gracious.
Saturday was a 12 hours picnic for us, our Ukranian partners and the host families. It was a day full of laughter and relaxing. The picnic was at a popular lake much like Lake Murray. I must confess, I've seen more speedos and thongs than I ever care to see again!!!!
Sunday morning again found us at Kmelnick for church. The little building was full to the rafters. It was hot and stuffy, but it was an incredible 2 1/2 hours for me. The joy of the Lord was truly in that place as we worship in English, Russian and Ukranian. We felt the spirit of true fellowship in Christ there. What love for the Lord and His people! It was so refreshing for me.
It was so nice to eat together under the trees outside (even if we were downwind of the outhouse). One of the deacons dumped at plate of chicken in my plate for me to eat (he said I was too small). When we left, he gave me a bag full of fresh, hot blini (which I have decided is one of my favorite desserts).
Sunday nights found us at Noah's Ark church. It is very new and modern. It even has a screen for slide shows, etc. It especially had modern toilets. No squatting over a hole! Woo Hoo! We were very excited.
On Monday we drove back to Kiev and spent the day sightseeing and shopping. We got to the central square (where the Orange Revolution took plane) and a huge political demonstration took place. I later found out that the demostration was calling for the president to dissolve Parliament, because right now the hardline Communists are taking control fast. It's very scary for this country that many would like to take it back to Soviet times. Everywhere you look you see evidence of these times. Not just in the buildings and the occasional statue of Lenin (some still standing, and some lying on the ground), but also in the low standard of living and the lack of understanding of the people that they must do for themselves and not wait for others to do for them.
Tuesday found us in Misadventures in Traveling II. It all started with the girl checking us in. She can blame the computer all she wants, but she was either a trainee or downright incompetent. It took us over an hour, because she wouldn't or couldn't understand that our luggage needed to be tagged for Columbia, not Dulles. Then, on the plane, a young guy from Latvia sat beside me. He was nervous about flying, so he had a bottle of whiskey, half of which he had already consumed. He finished off the bottle, and then he had 2 glasses of wine. After sleeping on his tray and drooling all over it, he decided to lean on me. Then he put his hand on my knee. He woke up real quick then!!! (He should be happy I didn't slap him.) In Germany we got to our gate just as they were making the final boarding call. That flight was long but uneventful until the very end. As we were waiting to get off, we were informed the jetway was working right, and they had to work on it. We waited 30 minutes to get off the plane. (This is very significant.) Then through customs, and to our gate JUST AS OUR PLANE TO COLUMBIA WAS LEAVING. Yes, once again we missed our flight. Only this time they refused to put us up in a hotel. We were all set to spend the night in the airport, when we found a hotel that had rooms (which we had to pay for, of course). We got there around midnight for about 4 1/2 hours of sleep then back to the airport. We insisted that we get vouchers for food, which we took great delight in spending every dime of. Thankfully, the flight home was uneventful and blessedly short. (All in all, I would say that I wouldn't fly United again unless I had to.) I got to the airport to find all my luggage and my sweet husband carrying 2 dozen roses. What a guy!
How do I describe Ukraine and its people? Rich in natural resources, beautiful, gracious, warm, hospitable, creative, musical. I wish everyone in here could visit this amazing place. I think it would not only give them an appreciation for its beauty and people, but also a deep gratitude to God for all the rich blessings He has given us here. I have also come to appreciate the team I worked with. Each person brought unique gifts to use for the Lord, and I cherish the time I spent with them.
Next week I hope to post pictures. Until then, I need a nap.
Semwife
Wednesday, July 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I enjoyed reading the details of your trip. I had to laugh at the swimsuit references and the man that got fresh with you on the plane in his sleep! I wish I had the time and courage to go on such a trip.
Post a Comment